Beautiful Castles in Cuba


Handpicked by a Local Expert

Cathedral Square in Old Havana

Beautiful Castles in Cuba

Cathedral Square in Old Havana   The Plaza de La Catedral is the most uniform of the four main colonial squares of Old Havana. This square is an authentic Cuban baroque museum, since all the buildings located in it, including the Cathedral, are from the 18th century. In this square the streets of Empedrado and San Ignacio converge.   Some of the most outstanding buildings in this s... More info

Jagua Castle

Beautiful Castles in Cuba

Jagua Castle   Jagua Castle, also known as Our Lady of the Angels of Jagua Castle, is located west of the mouth of Cienfuegos Bay.   It was projected by José Tantete in 1738 during the reign of Felipe V of Spain, almost a century before the city of Cienfuegos, and built in just seven years to defend the area from possible pirate and British attacks, being at that time the third mo... More info

Palace of the Marquises of Aguas Claras

Beautiful Castles in Cuba

Palace of the Marquises of Aguas Claras Discover the Marquises Palace of Aguas Claras in Old Havana, Cuba The Palace of the Marquises of Aguas Claras is located on the west side of the Cathedral Square.   This baroque palace, whose construction finished in the year 1760, has been greatly honored by the great beauty of its shady Andalusian patio, where there is a fountain surrounded by gr... More info

San Severino Castle

Beautiful Castles in Cuba

San Severino Castle   Located northwest of Versailles and built in 1735, the Castle of San Severino is a splendid crenellated fortress that was built following the Italian and French Renaissance patterns of the 16th and 17th centuries. It is considered the most important building in Cuba since the birth of the city of Matanzas.   The Castle of San Severino was designed for a defens... More info

Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabana

Beautiful Castles in Cuba

Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña The Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña is located on a hill to the east side of the port of Havana, in the Morro-Cabaña Military Historical Park. This colossal fortification was erected in the 18th century, between 1763 and 1774, in order to cover a weak point in the city's defenses.   In 1762 the English took control of this hill, from which the... More info

Palace of the Second Cape

Beautiful Castles in Cuba

Palace of the Second Cape   The Palace of the Second Cape, also known as Palacio de la Intendencia or Royal Post Office, is located in the north of the Plaza de Armas, next to the Palace of the General Captains, in Old Havana. This majestic palace, like the Palace of the General Captains, is neoclassical in style. Its construction was carried out in 1772, in local limestone, full of cavit... More info

Castle of San Salvador de La Punta

Beautiful Castles in Cuba

Castle of San Salvador de La Punta   The Castle of San Salvador de La Punta stands on the Port of Havana, forming part of the defensive system formed by the four fortresses that defend the Bay of Havana. It was designed by Italian military engineer Giovanni Bautista Antonelli and was built between 1589 and 1600.   During the colonial era every night a 250-meter chain extended from ... More info

Castle of San Pedro de la Roca del Morro

Beautiful Castles in Cuba

Castle of San Pedro de la Roca del Morro   The military fortress Castillo de San Pedro de la Roca, also known as “Castillo del Morro”, was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997 for its great historical and architectural value. Formerly it was known as the Piracy Museum, but it changed its name to adapt to the new contents of the museum more general and related to the environme... More info

Castle of the Three Holy Kings of Morro

Beautiful Castles in Cuba

Castle of the Three Holy Kings of Morro   The Castle of the Three Holy Kings of Morro was erected between 1589 and 1630 with the purpose of protecting the entrance to the port of Havana from pirates and invaders. This fortress is perched on a rocky ledge, known as El Morro, over the Atlantic Ocean. The field master Juan de Texeda, and the military engineer Batista Antonelli were in charge... More info